This year, Foursquare Day in San Francisco will be about more than stealing mayor titles and collecting badges.
Foursquare Day, to be appropriately celebrated this Saturday on the 16th day (literally, four squared) of the 4th month of the year, originally began as a globally-celebrated day for fans of the social media platform to come together and celebrate all things Foursquare while also checking-in with local businesses.
This year, San Francisco’s Foursquare Day, officially hosted by Pacific Catch Restaurants, and co-hosted by local culinary consulting group The Culinary Edge, will use the holiday and power of social media as a means to raise money to support Japanese Earthquake Relief.
“In year’s past, we have celebrated Foursquare Day simply as a way to connect with fellow Foursquare users and unlock coveted badges. However, in light of the recent events in Japan we felt that we had to do something,” says Chamin Mills, marketing and events manager at Pacific Catch.
Much like last year, the San Francisco’s official Foursquare Day party will be taking place at Pacific Catch’s Ninth Avenue location with hopes of unlocking a “Super Swarm” badge. However, this year’s celebration is much bigger with an outdoor BBQ, live band, beer and wine booths and 100% of the proceeds will be donated directly to the American & Japanese Red Cross to help rebuild those areas affected by last month’s earthquake.
To raise money, party-goers will be able to purchase food, drink, & the official “4sqdaySF” t-shirts:
• Mahi mahi and pulled pork tacos provided by Pacific Catch
• Beer provided by Sapporo, Sierra Nevada, Lost Coast and Lagunitas
• Wine provided by Hahn Winery & Honig Vineyard
• Signature 4sqdaySF “Buzz” cocktail provided by Pacific Catch
• Kombucha provided by House Kombucha
• Limited Edition “4sqdaySF” T-shirts provided by Pacific Catch
Silent Auction Items:
• A one week stay in a 2 bedroom, penthouse condo in Northstar-at-Tahoe. It offers generous living space of 1,205 square feet, two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a cozy great room with vaulted ceilings and picturesque mountain views, private terrace plus underground parking. The Northstar-at-Tahoe resort itself is one of the finest year-round mountain resorts in North America. Summer activities include mountain biking, golfing, scenic lift rides, hiking, fly-fishing and more.
• A gourmet private 5 course dinner for eight hosted at the state-of-the-art kitchen facilities at The Culinary Edge, prepared by the chefs at The Culinary Edge.
Raffle Prizes During the Event:
• Things to Eat:
o Fog Harbor Fish House restaurant - $100 gift certificate
o Pier Market Seafood restaurant - $75 gift certificate
o Il Fornaio Italian restaurant – Two $50 gift certificates
o Wipeout Bar & Grill - $50 gift certificate
o Bi-Rite Grocery - $50 gift certificate
o Bicycle Coffee – 5 pounds of coffee
o Chairman Bao food truck - $30 gift certificate
o Fraiche Yogurt café - $25 gift certificate
o Bun Mee Vietnamese sandwich eatery - $25 gift certificates
o House Kombucha – growler of kombucha
o Pacific Catch restaurant- Two $50 gift certificates
Elephant Bar restaurant- Two $50 gift certificates
• Things to Do:
o de Young Museum - 2 adult passes
o Sunset Gym – a 1-month gym membership at
o Sunset Yoga – 2-class, 5-class and 1 month passes
o Le Video – rental passes
o JC Picture This photography - 1 hour photography session
• Things to Have:
o Timbuk2 Bags - $250 gift certificate
o DODOcase - premium handmade iPad & Kindle cases
o Sports Basement - $100 gift certificate
o 4fifteen clothing - original clothing
o Sharon Art Studio - original art
o Manicato band – gift basket
o Wishbone Gifts - $25 gift certificates
o Tutti Frutti Cards & Gifts - gift basket
The 2nd annual Foursquare Day event will take place this Saturday, April 16th, from 1pm to 5pm at Pacific Catch located at 1200 9th Ave in San Francisco. In addition to the food and prizes, the event will also feature live music provided by Latin Reggae/Salsa band, Manicato, as well as a special “Super Swarm” period between 2pm to 4pm where guests will gather to check-in with hopes of unlocking the much coveted “Super Swarm” badge.
Check out the Foursquare Day Website and 4sqdaySF Facebook events page for more information.
Join the conversation on Twitter by following: @4sqdaySF, @pacificcatch, and @theculinaryedge